May 16, 2023
Litigation Paralegal (3+ years) Florida Office
We are currently seeking a Litigation Paralegal for a busy litigation practice in our Florida office. The position will involve working with attorneys by preparing and organizing various legal documentation for cases and trials. This includes drafting discovery requests and responses, motions, and other documents under the direction of the attorneys. The position also provides mentorship and assistance to ensure work is completed and deadlines are met for the team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drafts case-specific written discovery requests, legal objections, and factual responses to written discovery. The requests and responses would be to interrogatories, requests for production, and requests for admissions.
- Drafts good faith letters to opposing counsel regarding outstanding discovery requests.
- Drafts discovery motions and responses to opposing discovery motions.
- Prepares non-party subpoenas for documents.
- Prepares documents to be produced in response to Request for Production.
- Drafts Privilege Logs by identifying applicable privileges as it relates to claim and other documents.
- Prepares electronic and paper exhibits for trial at attorney direction.
- Assists and/or ensures that electronic binders for discovery, depositions, and pleadings are prepared for trial.
- Communicates and coordinates with witnesses for trial attendance.
- Assists in overseeing calendars and handling paralegal deadlines to ensure teams are aware of upcoming events and deadlines.
- Coordinates with Litigation Attorney and Legal Assistant as needed to prepare for trial.
- Communicates with co-workers, management, clients, vendors, and others as needed in a courteous and professional manner.
- Attendance at trial may be requested but is not required.
- Provides overflow assistance as needed.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Strongly prefer Bachelors degree, Associates degree or Certificate in Paralegal Studies from an ABA-approved program, or a Juris Doctorate.
- At least 3 years of experience working as a litigation paralegal.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to successfully multi-task, prioritize and maintain the daily tasks for the assigned case load.
- Strong communication and research skills.
- Works collaboratively with team members and others.
- Demonstrates desire to acquire effective trial skills with increased litigation complexity.
- Personal integrity and adherence to a high degree of professionalism and ethical competency.
- Westlaw proficient.
- Must have knowledge and experience working with CMS, e-filing, etc.
- A thorough understanding of the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure.
- A thorough understanding of the Florida Evidence Code.
- A thorough understanding of all Administrative Orders in effect within each jurisdiction that the paralegal handles.
- A thorough understanding of case law governing discovery in Florida.
- Ability to work independently on discovery matters, independently spot issues and be able to target discovery to specific factual issues in order to apply the applicable law to the discovered facts.
In addition to our competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefit package, including medical, HSA, Flexible Spending Plan, 401(k) with an employer match and paid vacation. MHH is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified candidates should forward their resumes along with compensation requirements to Lisa Markus, HR Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.